photo aztec-mess_zps0a762b67.png

Sunday 3 February 2013

MAC Russian Red vs. Rimmel Kate Moss 01: Dupe?

I officially lost my MAC virginity this week... I finally purchased my very first MAC lipstick! *squeals*. I ended up choosing probably the most well known shade: Russian Red. I've been trying hard to find the perfect red lipstick and once I had tried this one out, I knew my search was over. It's absolutely beauuutiful. I love it to bits and can't wait to wear it out! :).


However, when I did a swatch of it in the store I realized it looked almost identical to a lipstick I already owned. It reminded me of the Rimmel Kate Moss lipstick in the shade 01. So when I got home, I did a bit of experimenting....

(MAC Russian Red, Rimmel Kate Moss in 01)

When I swatched both of them on my arm, they looked 100% identical. The only difference I could see was that the Kate Moss lipstick had a slight sheen finish whereas Russian Red was purely matte.

(Rimmel Kate Moss in 01)

But when I actually apply them onto my lips, you can instantly see the difference. Russian Red is definitely slightly darker than 01, though by looking at the tubes (bottom photo) it would seem the opposite!

(MAC Russian Red)

Though they are slightly different, I would still consider the Rimmel Kate Moss in the shade 01 to be the closest dupe out there, which is great because it's a lot cheaper than a MAC lipstick (only $8.99) and the quality is just as good. It's also less drying since it has a sheen finish.


If I had to choose, I would pick Russian Red, mainly because I prefer slightly dark red lips rather than bright ones. It all really just comes down to what your personal preferences are :).

Which would you choose? :)

1 comments:

  1. Rimmel Kate Moss lipsticks are amazing! I have #02 and I'm obsessed with it, I should check out this shade, nice post! Hope you'll stop by my blog, I just followed yours :)

    ReplyDelete